search
top

Vienna Methodist Church

Vienna, Ohio 1850 Methodists in the area built their first church in 1803, at a point then known as Methodist Corners. The present building, completed in 1850, was originally heated by two coal stoves. In the late nineteenth century, the interior was rebuilt and new pews were installed. A basement was added in 1913. To meet the needs of a growing congregation, the church was enlarged in 1948. The ... read more

Gustavus Federated Church

Gustavus, Ohio 1856 Originally a Congregational Church, it consolidated with the Methodist and Christian Churches in 1950 to form the Hartford Community Church . The lovely stained glass windows were installed in 1911. The sanctuary has the original pews and furnishings. Architectural Style: Greek Revival Address 3312 State Route 7, Hartford,... read more

Hartford Community Church

Hartford, Ohio 1846 Originally a Congregational Church, it consolidated with the Methodist and Christian Churches in 1950 to form the Hartford Community Church . The lovely stained glass windows were installed in 1911. The sanctuary has the original pews and furnishings. Architectural Style: Greek Revival Address 3312 State Route 7, Hartford,... read more

Congregational and Presbyterian Church

Kinsman, Ohio 1833 The congregation, called the First United Congregational and Presbyterian Church, formed in 1831. The Kinsman family donated the site and substantial funds for the construction of the church, one of the oldest extant church in Trumbull County. The Reverend Joseph Badger, the first missionary to the Western Reserve, preached to the congregation that built the church. The interior... read more

Brookfield Christian Church

Brookfield, Ohio c.1877 The congregation was established early in the 19th century. A minister at that time was Sidney Rigdon, a friend of Alexander Campbell, who founded the Disciples of Christ denomination. Rigdon later converted to Mormonism and became an important figure in the Mormon colony in Kirtland, Ohio. The present church, built after these events, is located on the town green in a ... read more

Mother of Sorrows Catholic Church

Peninsula, Ohio 1882 The church was built for descendants of Irish Catholics who came to Ohio in the 1820s to build the Ohio and Erie canals. Originally called by its Latin name, “Mater Dolorosa,” it was very plain and did not have a finished interior until 1887. In the early twentieth century, Catholics from Eastern Europe arrived in the community to work in the paper mills, and the congregation... read more

Bronson Memorial Church

Now, Bronson Memorial Church Museum Peninsula, Ohio 1839 The Episcopal church, originally called Bethel Church, was built in 1835 by Hermon Bronson, who wanted to “introduce moral and religious tactics among the vicious and unlawful practices of the canal boatmen.” (William Perrin’s History of Summit County, 1881). The church was remodeled in Gothic Revival style in 1889 and renamed Bronson... read more

Church of Aurora

Aurora, Ohio 1872 The original church was Congregational, formed in 1809, shortly after Aurora was founded. In 1913 the Disciples Church joined the Congregationalists and in 1933 the combined church was renamed the Church of Aurora. It now has members from over 40 different Christian denominations. The church is located on a hillside, with a large sloping lawn in front, at the main intersection of... read more

St. Peter of the Fields

Rootstown, Ohio 1868 The church is beautifully situated on a small hillside at the bend of a country road. Eighteen German immigrant families built the church, which was originally a mission parish of St. Joseph’s in Randolph. The two-room building dedicated one room for services and the other for catechism classes taught in German. The stained glass windows and stations of the cross were added... read more

St. Joseph’s Catholic Church

Randolph, Ohio 1904 The parish was formed in 1829, by German Catholic farmers who settled in southern Portage County. A cemetery and a grotto form part of the extensive grounds. The ornate interior has beautiful stained glass windows and statuary. The church is located on a country road, surrounded by farm country. Architectural Style: Romanesque Address: 2643 Waterloo Road, Randolph,... read more
Page 1 of 612345...Last »
top