Now, Solon Historical Society Museum
Solon, Ohio 1899
The congregation was formed in 1841; it built the first church on the site in 1845, which later burned and was replaced by the current structure. President James A. Garfield was a circuit riding preacher to this church in 1860, in the former church building. A stained glass window and small chapel are dedicated to Garfield and commemorate his connection...
North Olmstead, Ohio 1847
Settlers to the area founded the Universalist congregation in 1834. The building is the oldest church in North Olmsted and one of the first Universalist churches in Ohio. The belfry was used as a station in the Underground Railway, to hide escaping slaves before the Civil War. The architecture is typical of the time, based on small Greek temples, capped with a spire and possibly...
Gates Mills, Ohio 1853
The church was built by a Methodist congregation with donations by the town founder, Halsey Gates. In 1906 the Episcopal Church began to hold vesper services there. In 1926 a canvass of the neighborhood revealed the community wished the church to become Episcopalian, and it was established as an Episcopal mission church that year, with the name changed to St. Christopher’s by...
Now, part of the Frostville Museum
Rocky River Reservation, Ohio
The origins of this Olmsted church are in doubt. Originally thought to be the Union House of Worship, recent research suggests that Methodists in Olmsted originally built the church in 1847, and Congregationalists bought it in 1871. The building has undergone several major renovations, and it is no longer known for certain what the original...
Now, Old Baptist Church Community Building
Bedford, Ohio 1892
Prominent Akron architect Jacob Snyder designed the church in the popular “Akron plan.” Classic elements include a sloped sanctuary with curved pews, and Sunday School classrooms surrounding the main sanctuary. The church houses a 1914 Moeller Pipe Organ. The church is located downtown, next to a city park called “Bedford Commons” and...