Now, Briar Hill Cemetery Museum
Novelty, Ohio 1851-52
The church is located on the grounds of Briar Hill Cemetery, Russell Township. David and Philinda Nutt, who immigrated to Ohio from Oneida, New York, in about 1836, helped to build the church, and have an extensive family plot on the east side of the church for their many descendents. The building has been restored and is now a museum. The Methodist...
Now, Church on the Green
Burton, Ohio 1846
Built by a Disciples of Christ congregation in Auburn Township, the church later became the Auburn Community Church. In 1963, the church was moved to its present location and extensively renovated. It is now part of Century Village Museum, under the auspices of the Geauga County Historical Society, and is used for meetings and special events such as...
Newbury, Ohio Circa 1856-1858
Newbury residents built the Union Chapel when the Congregational Church across the street refused to allow James Garfield to speak there, as they were concerned about the topic of his speech. The topic is today not known. Garfield, later the twentieth President of the United States, dedicated the Chapel to free speech. The Chapel became a community center, used for religious...
Parkman, Ohio 1875
Ten members organized the church in 1823 as a Presbyterian Church. In 1873, with only seven members, the congregation was able to build a church, which was completed in 1875. The lot on which the church was built was sold in 1939, and the church was moved about a block up the hill, using a horse and rig. The move took one week. The basement was added at that time.
Now, Auburn Township Museum
Auburn, Ohio 1840
The Free Will Baptist Society, formed in 1835-36, built the current structure. The Baptists shared the building with the Methodists during the 1870s, alternating Sundays for services. After more than a century of use as a church, it was converted to the Auburn Township Museum in 1973. The church is still in its original location.
National Register of Historic...