search
top

Mantua Center Christian Church

Mantua Center, Ohio 1839-40 According to a sign at the church, this is the oldest Disciples of Christ church in Ohio. James Garfield spoke here. The basement was added in 1871, and the edifice has received two separate additions. The church is part of a small historic district also containing a civic center, a private home, a park, and a cemetery. The cemetery has graves of Revolutionary War veterans,... read more

Hiram Chrsitian Church

Hiram, Ohio 1906 The history of this church is intertwined with the formation of Hiram College. The Disciples of Christ founded the Western Reserve Eclectic Institute in 1850 as a preparatory school for both men and women. A noted alumnus of the school was James Garfield, who was a student at the Institute from 1851 to 1853, and later returned as a teacher and then principal of the Institute. The ... read more

First Congregational Church

Freedom, Ohio 1843-45 The congregation which built the church consisted mainly of settlers from new England who were descendants of the Pilgrims. They organized the church in 1828 and met in a school house until the church was completed in 1845. A local contractor, Ralph W. Shepard, won a competition to design and build the church. Local legend tells that one dedicated early parishioner rode an ox... read more

Atwater Congregational Church

Atwater, Ohio 1841 The congregation which built the church was formed in 1818. The church dominates the public green which also contains a cemetery and a town hall. Architecturally, the church resembles many New England churches of the colonial and federal periods. However, the pointed windows show the influence of gothic style, which was beginning to have a revival at the time the church was... read more

St. James Episcopal Church

Now, St. James Meeting House Boardman, Ohio 1828 The Parish of St. James began in Boardman in 1807; members were settlers to the region. The Boardman family donated the land, money and some materials for the church building. The church was consecrated in 1828. It is the oldest public building in Boardman and is believed to be the oldest church in the Western Reserve of the Northwest Territory. In 1971... read more

Poland Presbyterian Church

Poland, Ohio 1897 The Poland Presbyterian Church has been located at the Village Green in Poland since 1802. The present church building is the fourth on the site. The church is beautifully situated in a large park, established by early Ohio founder Turhand Kirtland. The park also contains a pioneer cemetery, containing the graves of several Revolutionary War veterans. The town was named for Polish... read more

Ellsworth Presbyterian Church

Ellsworth, Ohio The congregation, established in 1818, originally combined the Presbyterian and Congregational denominations. The church is located at the major township intersection of Ohio 45 and US 224. The church is located on a small hillside, set back from the streets by a large, sloping yard. Architectural Style: Carpenter Gothic Address: U.S. Route 224, Ellsworth,... read more

Brownhelm Congreational Church

Brownhelm, Ohio (date unknown) The congregation, consisting of sixteen members, was organized in 1819. The current church building is the third edifice built by the congregation. Part of the Brownhelm Historic District, National Register of Historic Places Architectural Style: Federal/Greek Revival Address: 2144 North Ridge Road, Vermillion,... read more

United Church of Huntington

Huntington, Ohio 1847 The church congregation was originally Methodist in denomination. The edifice was built in 1847 at a cost of $2,000. The church became one of the most important preaching sites on the Methodist circuit of the area, called the “Wellington Circuit.” Huntington is credited with turning out a large number of Methodist preachers in the nineteenth century. Today’s... read more

Kipton Community Church

Kipton, Ohio 1879 The Methodist and Baptist congregations in the Kipton area joined forces to build Union Church in 1879, using the church on alternating Sundays. In 1924 the Christian Church of Kipton joined the Union Church, which was renamed the Kipton Community Church . The church is located on a residential street, near the center of town. National Register of Historic Places Architectural... read more
Page 2 of 612345...Last »
top