search
top

Mantua Center Christian Church

Mantua Center, Ohio 1839-40 According to a sign at the church, this is the oldest Disciples of Christ church in Ohio. James Garfield spoke here. The basement was added in 1871, and the edifice has received two separate additions. The church is part of a small historic district also containing a civic center, a private home, a park, and a cemetery. The cemetery has graves of Revolutionary War veterans,... read more

Hiram Chrsitian Church

Hiram, Ohio 1906 The history of this church is intertwined with the formation of Hiram College. The Disciples of Christ founded the Western Reserve Eclectic Institute in 1850 as a preparatory school for both men and women. A noted alumnus of the school was James Garfield, who was a student at the Institute from 1851 to 1853, and later returned as a teacher and then principal of the Institute. The ... read more

First Congregational Church

Freedom, Ohio 1843-45 The congregation which built the church consisted mainly of settlers from new England who were descendants of the Pilgrims. They organized the church in 1828 and met in a school house until the church was completed in 1845. A local contractor, Ralph W. Shepard, won a competition to design and build the church. Local legend tells that one dedicated early parishioner rode an ox... read more

Atwater Congregational Church

Atwater, Ohio 1841 The congregation which built the church was formed in 1818. The church dominates the public green which also contains a cemetery and a town hall. Architecturally, the church resembles many New England churches of the colonial and federal periods. However, the pointed windows show the influence of gothic style, which was beginning to have a revival at the time the church was... read more

St. James Episcopal Church

Now, St. James Meeting House Boardman, Ohio 1828 The Parish of St. James began in Boardman in 1807; members were settlers to the region. The Boardman family donated the land, money and some materials for the church building. The church was consecrated in 1828. It is the oldest public building in Boardman and is believed to be the oldest church in the Western Reserve of the Northwest Territory. In 1971... read more
Page 3 of 1212345...10...Last »
top