Aurora, Ohio 1872
The original church was Congregational, formed in 1809, shortly after Aurora was founded. In 1913 the Disciples Church joined the Congregationalists and in 1933 the combined church was renamed the Church of Aurora. It now has members from over 40 different Christian denominations. The church is located on a hillside, with a large sloping lawn in front, at the main intersection of...
Rootstown, Ohio 1868
The church is beautifully situated on a small hillside at the bend of a country road. Eighteen German immigrant families built the church, which was originally a mission parish of St. Joseph’s in Randolph. The two-room building dedicated one room for services and the other for catechism classes taught in German. The stained glass windows and stations of the cross were added...
Randolph, Ohio 1904
The parish was formed in 1829, by German Catholic farmers who settled in southern Portage County. A cemetery and a grotto form part of the extensive grounds. The ornate interior has beautiful stained glass windows and statuary. The church is located on a country road, surrounded by farm country.
Architectural Style: Romanesque
Address: 2643 Waterloo Road, Randolph,...
Mantua Center, Ohio 1839-40
According to a sign at the church, this is the oldest Disciples of Christ church in Ohio. James Garfield spoke here. The basement was added in 1871, and the edifice has received two separate additions. The church is part of a small historic district also containing a civic center, a private home, a park, and a cemetery. The cemetery has graves of Revolutionary War veterans,...
Hiram, Ohio 1906
The history of this church is intertwined with the formation of Hiram College. The Disciples of Christ founded the Western Reserve Eclectic Institute in 1850 as a preparatory school for both men and women. A noted alumnus of the school was James Garfield, who was a student at the Institute from 1851 to 1853, and later returned as a teacher and then principal of the Institute. The ...