Orwell, Ohio 1841
In 1831, a group of settlers formed a Congregational Church. It met in homes until the church members constructed the church from hand hewn logs and other local materials. The Church became Presbyterian in 1846, and in 1917 it joined a federation with the Disciples of Christ Church. The architectural history of the church is an example of the ongoing evolution of a religious building in response to changing needs of the congregation. In 1876 the building was moved back, and turned. The original length of 36 feet became the width, and the church was lengthened to 56 feet. The spire, copied from a church in New Lyme, Connecticut, and based on a design by Christopher Wren, was added along with gothic windows. In 1899 the church was raised so that a basement could be added. During the twentieth century, the church interior underwent various renovations; additions include a new pipe organ, pulpit, and memorial windows. The church doors were donated and installed in 1938.
Architectural Style: Carpenter Gothic
Address: 135 N. Maple, Orwell, Ohio