search
top

First Church in Oberlin, United Church of Christ

Oberlin, Ohio 1842

Original Name: Congregational Church of Christ

Congregationalists, mainly settlers from New England, organized the church in 1834. The congregation met in temporary settings until the current church was built in 1842. By 1860 it was among the largest Congregational churches in the country. Along with Berea, Tallmadge and other settlements in the Western Reserve, Oberlin was founded as a Congregationalist community. Congregationalists founded Oberlin College in 1835, the first school to actively recruit African American students and the first coeducational college in the U.S. The church was a major stop on the Underground Railroad and was the meeting place of the Oberlin Anti-Slavery Society. The building is located adjacent to Oberlin College, near downtown Oberlin, on the main street through town.

National Register for Historic Places

Architectural Style: Greek Revival

Address: 106 N. Main St., Oberlin, Ohio

top