search
top

Old St. Patrick’s Church

Wellington, Ohio 1849

Old St. Patrick’s church was originally a one room school house. The school was no longer needed when the village consolidated its schools in the early 1900s. Meanwhile, St. Patrick’s parish was founded in 1858, to serve mainly Irish railroad workers. The parish outgrew its first church, and in 1906 bought the current structure at an auction, for $700 dollars. The pastor arranged for a parishioner to do the bidding, as he was uncertain how some of the village would respond to the Catholics buying it for a church. The parish continued to grow and built new churches on the same grounds in 1948 and 1977. Old St. Patrick’s remains on the grounds, and today, marriage preparation classes for area parishes are held in the old church building.

National Register of Historic Places

Architectural Style: Federal/American Schoolhouse

Address: 512 North Main Street, Wellington, Ohio

top