search
top

St. James Episcopal Church

Now, St. James Meeting House
Boardman, Ohio 1828

The Parish of St. James began in Boardman in 1807; members were settlers to the region. The Boardman family donated the land, money and some materials for the church building. The church was consecrated in 1828. It is the oldest public building in Boardman and is believed to be the oldest church in the Western Reserve of the Northwest Territory. In 1971 the Episcopal congregation built another church in a new location, and the empty church was slated for demolition. The Boardman Historical Society spearheaded a campaign to save the church, and in 1972 the church was restored and moved to its present location in Boardman Park. Now called St. James Meeting House, it is used for weddings and special events.

National Register of Historic Places

Architectural Style: Federal/American Vernacular

Address: 375 Boardman-Poland Road, Boardman, Ohio
(Inside Boardman Park)

WRY FRIENDS, WE HAVE A GRAND
MAGNIFICENT COUNTRY ROUD ABOUT US.
WHERE WILL WE GO ON GOD’S FOOTSTOOL
TO FIND BETTER? IT IS YOUR TOWN, OF WHICH
WE MAY ALL BE PROUD.
top