search
top

Universalist Church

Westfield Center, Ohio 1848

The original congregation, some of whom came from the Connecticut Firelands, began meeting in local homes in 1821. Lumber and pews were donated by church members. It is the oldest church in Medina County and the oldest Universalist Church in Ohio. In 1849, Abbie Danforth, a woman minister, was installed, in keeping with church practice of accepting both men and women as ministers. The church borders a large, well-maintained public green, along with other historic public buildings and private homes.

National Register of Historic Places

Architectural Style: Greek Revival/Stick/Eastlake

Address: At the intersection of Le Roy and Greenwich Roads. On the Town Green, Westfield Center, Ohio

top