search
top

First Congregational Church

Freedom, Ohio 1843-45

The congregation which built the church consisted mainly of settlers from new England who were descendants of the Pilgrims. They organized the church in 1828 and met in a school house until the church was completed in 1845. A local contractor, Ralph W. Shepard, won a competition to design and build the church. Local legend tells that one dedicated early parishioner rode an ox through the woods to get to the church as the roads were not yet opened, and ruined her dresses as they got torn on the bushes. The bell in the steeple was an important part of village life; on the day of Abraham Lincoln’s funeral, the bell ringer tolled the bell for two hours.

National Register of Historic Places

Architectural Style: Greek Revival/Federal

Address: Public Green on OH 88, Intersection of Route 88 and
Route 303, Freedom, Ohio

top