search
top

Hiram Chrsitian Church

Hiram, Ohio 1906

The history of this church is intertwined with the formation of Hiram College. The Disciples of Christ founded the Western Reserve Eclectic Institute in 1850 as a preparatory school for both men and women. A noted alumnus of the school was James Garfield, who was a student at the Institute from 1851 to 1853, and later returned as a teacher and then principal of the Institute. The first church, built in 1856, burned in 1857. The second church, built in that same year, burned in 1897. The church, located at one corner of the campus, has served the college and surrounding community.

Architectural Style: Gothic Revival/Queen Anne Influences

Address: Intersection of State Routes 82 and 70, Hiram, Ohio

 

top