search
top

Bronson Memorial Church

Now, Bronson Memorial Church Museum
Peninsula, Ohio 1839

The Episcopal church, originally called Bethel Church, was built in 1835 by Hermon Bronson, who wanted to “introduce moral and religious tactics among the vicious and unlawful practices of the canal boatmen.” (William Perrin’s History of Summit County, 1881). The church was remodeled in Gothic Revival style in 1889 and renamed Bronson Memorial Church, after the donor of funds for the remodeling. Church membership waned in the 20th century and in 1965 the Episcopal Diocese donated the building to the Ohio Historical Society. The Society now maintains the building, which is used for weddings and other special events.

Part of the Peninsula Village Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Architectural Style: Gothic Revival/Federal

Address: 1712 Main Street, Peninsula, Ohio

 

top