Mother of Sorrows Catholic Church

Peninsula, Ohio 1882

The church was built for descendants of Irish Catholics who came to Ohio in the 1820s to build the Ohio and Erie canals. Originally called by its Latin name, “Mater Dolorosa,” it was very plain and did not have a finished interior until 1887. In the early twentieth century, Catholics from Eastern Europe arrived in the community to work in the paper mills, and the congregation grew rapidly. In 1935, the church was expanded by cutting the building in two, moving the altar section back, and constructing a new middle section. The church was completely renovated for its centennial celebration in 1982.

Located in the Peninsula Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Architectural Style: Carpenter Gothic

Address: 6034 Locust Street, Peninsula, Ohio